My mom says I got the ‘scar of my life’ after candles filled her bathroom with smoke

A mum has been horrified after her bathroom filled with ‘thick black smoke’ after leaving tea lights unattended for just 30 minutes.

Shannon Barker, who lives in Arlesey, Bedfordshire, took to Facebook to reveal how she phoned the fire department after being shocked by the damage caused by £2.99 B&M candles.

Shannon warned others of the potential dangers of the post, which has racked up hundreds of comments.

Replies to the thread comforted Shannon saying that at least she and her children were unharmed, but others argued that candles should never be left unattended and fires can be started. if too many tealights are lit at once.

Shannon Barker, who lives in Arlesey, went viral on Facebook after revealing the extensive damage to her home caused by her tealights (pictured)

Shannon shared photos revealing the candle holder melted within 30 minutes of being lit and left in her bathroom

Shannon shared photos revealing the candle holder melted within 30 minutes of being lit and left in her bathroom

Shannon said she had previously had no problems with tealights purchased from budget retailer B&M

Shannon said she had previously had no problems with tealights purchased from budget retailer B&M

Posting on Facebook, Shannon said she had to call the fire department after her house filled with thick black smoke

Posting on Facebook, Shannon said she had to call the fire department after her house filled with thick black smoke

Shannon explained that she noticed smoke coming out from under the closed bathroom door after the smoke detector went off.

She posted a selection of photographs showing her bathroom ceiling stained with black smoke and the melted holder in which the candles had been left.

The mum tagged B&M in the caption of her post, saying, “Tonight I had to call 999 and ask the fire department to come to my house while my kids were sleeping.”

“Around 7:30 p.m. I lit a new candle in my bathroom, as I do every night before taking a bath, which I have been doing for a year with the same product, but tonight I used a new set of tealight candles within 30 minutes.with the candle lit my smoke alarm went off.

“I walked to the hallway where I could see smoke coming through the closed door. I open the door to find a room full of thick black smoke I couldn’t see anything All of this from a small tealight. After advice from the fire brigade.

“They advised me to escalate this to your head office health and safety department to have the products removed and assessed. These are not safe.

“I had the scare of my life tonight and now I have to try and clean up and redecorate in the days to come. my main concern is that other families have these candles in their homes and may not be as lucky as me. I am shaken.

A stream of commenters appreciated Shannon’s warning, with some admitting to having had a similar experience.

A flood of commenters tried to reassure Shannon that she and her children had escaped safely

A flood of commenters tried to reassure Shannon that she and her children had escaped safely

One person wrote: “This happened to me years ago!” I fell asleep with a lit candle and woke up to black in my nose and around my room like this! I hope you’re okay’

Another said: “How awful for you!” I’m so glad none of you suffered any harm (other than emotionally)! Bravo for your quick reactions and the safety of your babies. A truly horrible experience for you to have to face’

However, others blamed Shannon for the accident and argued that the candles could have been used safely had she not left them unattended.

“It doesn’t matter if you don’t use them, you shouldn’t use candles in the bathroom and leaving them unattended is just crazy, you were very lucky to get away with it without this happening before,” one person commented.

Another wrote: ‘Looks like you used two, the burners are only meant to withstand the heat of a candle so using two could cause it to crackle and ignite.’

A flood of commenters slammed Shannon for leaving her tealights unattended and accused her of lighting too many

A flood of commenters slammed Shannon for leaving her tealights unattended and accused her of lighting too many

A third said: ‘I’m so glad everyone is safe and well and I’m so sorry to hear/see the damage but I don’t think it’s the fault of B&M or the spark plugs. First, you left it unattended, which is highly recommended.

‘I can also see that you have used two candles in your burner, it is only recommended to use one because it gets too hot with two and can also explore and thirdly you are using scented candles. It is recommended to use unscented candles in your wax burners.

“Again, I’m so sorry to see/hear this, but please follow the advice that the majority of wax melting companies and store bought products will state on the packaging to avoid these scary situations.”

A fourth added: ‘Never leaving candles unattended wouldn’t have had this problem in the first place, especially when you have kids at home.’

Comments are closed.